Mission San José de Tumacácori is a historic Spanish mission (the oldest in Arizona), established by Jesuits in 1691 as the Mission San Cayetano de Tumacácori and preserved in its present form by Franciscans in 1828. After the Pima rebellion of 1751, the Mission was relocated to the present site on the west side of the Santa Cruz River and renamed; it is here that the first actual church structure was erected. The Mission is located in present-day Tumacácori National Historical Park, and is open to the public daily.
Category:Architecture and Structures
Keywords:arizona, catholic, mission
© IrishWildcat Photography